Let’s be clear. I am NOT a morning person. Getting to bed late? Hitting the snooze button three times? Yep, that’s me.
So, when my Positive Psychology teacher Tal Ben Shahar promoted the idea of a morning ritual to be happier (and especially Nathaniel Branden’s sentence completion exercise), I was less than thrilled. In hindsight it has become one the secrets to my own productivity.
Morning routine-busting is not only Scare Your Soul-approved, it is an amazing way to amp up productivity, achieve our goals, and live like a bad-ass. This week’s Scare Your Soul Challenge is:
Supercharge Your Morning
Your goal for the week is to pick at least one day (make it 3 or 4 if you can) and religiously following the SYS Plan. Start the night before, wake up early, accomplish one morning ritual, take a cold shower, and channel Steve Jobs. Here’s the plan:
Number One: Your morning begins the night before.
This is critical. Take time the night before to open your day successfully:
- Choose and lay out your clothes for the next day (even your shoes and socks)
- Generate a to-do list for the following morning and e-mail it to yourself
- Get into bed one hour earlier than usual & turn off your devices – read a book!
- Consider one question you have been wrestling with & let your subconscious go to work
Number Two: Wake up and begin
Choose one “morning ritual” that works for you
- Like Tony Robbins, do three sets of energizing 30 Kapalbhati Pranayama breaths
- Like Tim Ferris, handwrite morning pages
- Journal. Try Nathaniel Branden’s sentence completion exercise to achieve meaning in your day.
- Do some simple exercises. Or amp it up.
Number Three: Take a cold shower.
There’s a scientific case for it. Yep. Just do it.
Number Four: The Steve Jobs ritual.
Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and ask yourself “If today was the last day of my life, would I be happy with what I’m about to do today?”
Let’s do this! Let’s get out of our comfort zone and supercharge!
If you haven’t signed up to get our free weekly challenges, what are you waiting for?!